LES offers you a unique opportunity to build your advanced lymphoedema education experience. There are four-course options:
- Upper Limb Advanced Lymphoedema Course
- Lower Limb Advanced Lymphoedema Course
- Head and Neck Lymphoedema Course
- The Complete Level 2 Advanced Lymphoedema Course (Lower Limb + Upper Limb Advanced Lymphoedema courses + Head and Neck Lymphoedema Course) – course description, dates and registration below
Practitioners will bring to the courses expertise and knowledge in various aspects of lymphoedema management. These courses will utilise and expand upon this knowledge and skills to facilitate the learning experience and provide the practitioner with training to assess and treat complex lymphoedemas.
The Complete Level 2 Advanced Lymphoedema Course (Lower Limb + Upper Limb Advanced Lymphoedema courses + Head and Neck Lymphoedema Course).
The Complete Level 2 Advanced Lymphoedema Course provides the practitioner with the opportunity to develop their knowledge, skills and clinical reasoning in the management of complex lymphoedema.
Practitioners will bring to the course expertise and knowledge in various aspects of lymphoedema management. This course will utilise and expand upon this knowledge and skills to facilitate the learning experience and provide the practitioner with training to assess and treat complex lymphoedemas including head and neck, mixed oedema and genital oedema, upper / breast and lower limb.
Click on the headings below for more information
This course is open to registered health professionals only (Division 1 Nurses, Medical Practitioners, Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists). Participants must have successfully completed a Level 1 (Basic) lymphoedema course or equivalent that meets the ALA Level 1 course guidelines (https://www.lymphoedema.org.au/the-register-updated/ala-recognised-courses/) and had a minimum of 1-year experience (half time) of treating clients with lymphoedema.
This course will include learning advanced Coban 2 bandaging techniques. Participants must have successfully completed a 3M basic Coban 2 upper limb and lower limb workshop or a Lymphoedema Education Solutions Complete Level 1 lymphoedema course. If the participant hasn’t completed either of these indicate this on the registration form and 3M will provide a training session prior to the face to face study days
The course is developed around four themes.
The role of the lymphoedema practitioner and its development.
Lymphoedema knowledge and skill development for:
- Head and neck lymphoedema;
- Lymphatic ICG mapping and how this guides lymphoedema management;
- Surgery for lymphoedema:
- What are the options and when should they be used.
- The role of the lymphoedema practitioner
- Breast lymphoedema;
- Upper and lower limb lymphoedema;
- Genital lymphoedema;
- Vascular lymphoedema;
- Complex lymphoedema.
Applied practice. The focus of this theme is in developing skills that are required for clinical practice. It integrates elements from the other 4 themes.
Research and its impact on treatment decision making.
The key characteristics of the complete advanced lymphoedema course curriculum are:
Continuum of lymphoedema management education
This course provides opportunities for continuing your development as a lymphoedema practitioner from the basic (level1) lymphoedema course to an advanced lymphoedema practitioner. It also acknowledges that practitioners will bring to the course expertise and knowledge in various aspects of lymphoedema management.
Cased based learning
The course is underpinned by the exploration of lymphoedema management through case studies that will facilitate the integration of information and skills to specific lymphoedema conditions. This will facilitate an authentic learning experience.
The course fosters an appreciation of interdisciplinary teamwork and explores the roles and the development of lymphoedema practitioners across professions.
The goal of the integrated curriculum of this course is to bring the learner beyond skill and concept acquisition to creativity and evidence-based decision making and implementation in practice.
Maree O’Connor is a physiotherapist and has over 30 years experience in the area of lymphoedema management and also physiotherapy following breast cancer. She has been delivering lymphoedema courses, workshops, seminars and speaking at both national and international conferences since 1994 and has a graduate certificate in health professional education …read more
Sarah Harmon is a physiotherapist with over 25 years of clinical experience in lymphoedema management, having worked in both the public and private setting …read more
The Complete Level 2 Advanced Lymphoedema Management Course comprises of a comprises of a mixed delivery method which enables the learner to have the best possible learning experience. It comprises of self paced online, virtual sessions and the face to face component.
Distance Learning Module
The self-paced distance learning component is included via the Lymphoedema Educations Solutions (LES) online management system and via the e-learning modules provided by Klose Training www.klosetraining.com. It includes readings, online presentations and activities to assist you in developing knowledge on various topics. Your prior learning will influence how much time you will need to spend on each section. There are some activities that will require you to participate in an online discussion with other course participants. The distance learning component is compulsory and will prepare you for the face to face study days. It must be completed prior to the face to face study days. It is estimated that Klose online training can take up to 20 hours to complete. There are approximately another 25 hours of learning via the LES site. The online training modules include:
- LES online upper limb, lower limb and head and neck modules approximately 15 hours.
- Klose Training Axillary Web Syndrome Course https://lymphoedemaeducation.com.au/courses/axillary-web-syndrome/ (valued at $125 AUD (inc GST) 3.25 hours
- Obesity and Obesity-Related Lymphoedema & Lipedema https://lymphoedemaeducation.com.au/courses/obesity-obesity-related-lymphoedema-lipedema/ (Valued at $175 AUD (inc GST)) 2.5 hours
- Klose Training CDT for the treatment of genital lymphedema 1 hour
- Klose Training Head & Neck Lymphedema Management https://klosetraining.com/course/online/head-and-neck-lymphedema-management-online/ (valued at $415 AUD (inc GST) 6.75 hours
- Klose Training Elastic Taping for Lymphoedema Course https://lymphoedemaeducation.com.au/courses/elastic-taping-for-lymphoedema/ (valued at $265 AUD (inc GST) 6.5 hours
- LES Laser Course 1 Introduction to Laser Safety Parameters and Dosages: How to get to where you want to be and Laser Course 2 Therapeutic laser for the management of lymphoedema https://lymphoedemaeducation.com.au/courses/therapeutic-laser-webinars/ (valued at $176 AUD inc GST) 10 hours
The Klose and Laser e-learning component will also include formative online quizzes which you must achieve 80% and you have three chances at achieving this.
The LES online Learning Management System has numerous articles and resources. Some will be used as you progress through the modules. Others are for you to access if you would like to deepen your knowledge on various topics.
The virtual sessions are designed to interactively explore various aspects of assessment and management prior to the face to face component. They are facilitated by experienced lymphoedema practitioners and delivered by experts in their fields.
Click here to find out about the sessions.
This consists of 4.5 days. These days are about developing your clinical reasoning and skill acquisition
Dissemination of information and skills is via lectures, activities, practical workshops and group discussion. It is an excellent opportunity for therapists to share their knowledge, skills, ideas and have a forum to troubleshoot difficult aspects of lymphoedema management.
Participants are required to have 100% attendance throughout the face-to-face component.
Learning activities are developed around the learning objectives for each of the four themes. They are to assist the course participant in gaining the best possible learning experience. Some of the activities will make up part of the assessment of the course. This course provides you with an opportunity to complete learning activities in various ways.
The assessment is to assist the learner in integrating what has been taught. The assessment includes both formative and summative components. There will be a number of opportunities for formative assessment (feedback) both in the distance learning and face to face components. The following tasks make up the course assessment:
- Klose Training and LES Laser modules quizzes
- Provide evidence of your clinical reasoning for your chosen case study. The first assignment is to be submitted prior to the face to face days. The assessment part of the case studies will be discussed as part of a virtual session. The second assignment is due 4 weeks after the last day of the face to face study days. The second assignment allows the learner to reflect on both the virtual session and face to face days and make changes, if required.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively perform manual lymphatic drainage for head and neck lymphoedema.
- Demonstration of basic skills in applying upper limb and lower limb Coban 2 bandages. If you have already attended a 3M basic Coban 2 course or LES level 1 lymphoedema course you will be posted a set of 3M Coban 2 bandages for an upper limb and below knee with boot. You will need to upload a video demonstrating bandaging an arm with fingers and fanning and also a below knee application with boot. This needs to be uploaded prior to the face to face study days as indicated in the key dates check list. If you haven’t attended a 3M Coban 2 course a session will be organised prior to the face to face study days and your competency will assessed as part of this session.
- Demonstrate effective skills in Coban 2 bandaging and compression garments for a complex upper limb and lower limb lymphoedema case study.
There will be an opportunity to look at various resources relevant to lymphoedema and its management these may include books, DVD’s, posters, policy documents etc. Practitioners may have resources that they have found useful and are willing to share with other participants please feel free to bring these along.
Access to the comprehensive LES online Learning Management System which provides an interactive and collaborative environment;
Klose Training online modules (www.klosetraining.com):
- Axillary Web Syndrome
- Obesity and Obesity-Related Lymphoedema & Lipedema
- Klose Training CDT for the treatment of genital lymphedema
- Klose Training Head & Neck Lymphedema Management
- Klose Training Elastic Taping for Lymphoedema Course
- LES Laser courses 1 and 2
- Presentations and workshops from experts in lymphoedema management
- Course handouts for the face to face component;
- Advanced Coban 2 techniques (including an online module)
- Sample roll of kinesiotape;
- All morning / afternoon teas and lunches.
- Dinner on the Saturday night as part of the laser forum
This course requires a minimum number of 16 participants and has a maximum number of 20.
The following agreement is made between the participant registering for the course (as indicated on this registration form) and Lymphoedema Education Solutions (LES).
Course Payment and Refund Policy
On receipt of full payment, each participant will receive a confirmation email and a receipt for payment. A tax invoice will be provided on complete payment of the full course amount.
Upon registration, the Participant will receive an email with details confirming when payment of the deposit and balance is due. The total amount is due prior to commencing the course. A place will not be held in the course without the Participant being sent confirmation of receipt of a deposit. $90.00 (GST inclusive) of the deposit is non-refundable. Full payment must be received for the Participant to access the course. The full cost of the course will become non-refundable from the commencement date of the online learning. The date when online learning commences is included in the course information.
If the Participant is travelling from interstate and are unable to attend due to border closures, they can request to either transfer their deposit or full payment to another LES training program by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notification of cancellations must be sent by post or email email@example.com. All cancellations incur an administration fee of $90 (GST inclusive).
Places are limited and minimum and maximum course numbers apply. All workshop practical sessions are completed in pairs and therefore even numbers are required.
Scope of Practice
The applicant acknowledges and understands that the course is designed for practitioners with suitable existing health professional qualifications. The course description identifies which types of health professional qualifications are required. The applicant undertakes to the course provider that it is suitably qualified in accordance with the course prerequisites and holds a current registration.
All materials provided in courses and workshops are protected by copyright and intellectual property laws.
Reproduction and re-transmission of the materials, in whole or part, in any manner, without the prior consent of the copyright holder, is a violation of copyright law. Individuals must preserve any copyright or other notices contained in or associated with the materials. Users may not distribute copies to others, whether or not in electronic form, whether or not for charge or consideration, without prior written consent of the copyright holder of the materials.
We respect your personal information and your privacy is important to us. We will use our best efforts to protect your personal information from unauthorised access. We may use your personal information to contact you from time to time about products and services we think you may be interested in. Part of the course involves communicating via email with other course participants and for this reason, you agree that your email address may be shared with other course participants. We may give your details to course sponsors and exhibitors unless you ask us not to. Please ask us if you have any queries about providing your personal information.
Expression of interest
Please complete the expression of interest form below to be notified when future dates become available for these courses.