This online course addresses the clinical management of patients with lymphoedema of the head and neck following surgery and/or radiation therapy for cancer.
Click on the headings below for more information
This online course addresses the clinical management of patients with lymphedema of the head and neck following surgery and/or radiation therapy for cancer. The content includes a lecture on the sequelae related to cancer treatment followed by a thorough discussion of the role of appropriate therapeutic post-operative and post-radiation intervention. Compression therapy applications as well as techniques of Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) for patients with lymphedema of the head and neck are demonstrated in great detail. Additional rehabilitation considerations, including therapy for trismus and shoulder dysfunction, are also covered.
By engaging with the course, you will:
- Be able to identify surgical and radiation therapy effects that lead to secondary lymphedema of the head and neck.
- Understand the unique treatment challenges associated with patients with lymphedema of the head and neck.
- Be able to assess the need for compression therapy in patients with lymphedema of the head and neck and choose the appropriate compression application from a variety of recommendations.
- Be familiar with specialised MLD techniques for patients with lymphedema of the head and neck, including intra-oral therapy.
- Appreciate the importance of a multi-disciplinary approach in the diagnosis and management of patients with head and neck cancers and subsequent lymphedema.
- Click the REGISTER NOW button below
- Fill in the REGISTRATION form then click the PAYMENT button where you will be directed to the Shop page where you need to click ADD TO CART.
- Click PROCEED TO CHECKOUT.
- If you are a previous customer, simply enter your access details to login to your customer account. If you are a new customer, carefully enter your details.
- Please ensure that you enter a valid e-mail address as all order information will be sent to this address.
Place your order
- Click PROCEED TO PAYPAL to make your payment via credit card or with your Paypal account.
- Shortly after making a successful payment you will receive your order confirmation by email.
- Your credit card is charged and will show payment made to Victorian Lymphoedema Practice (trading as Lymphoedema Education Solutions)
Within three to five business days of receiving your registration and payment, you will be sent your username, password, and instructions on how to access and navigate the online course. You will have 3 MONTHS of access to the online course, starting from the time you receive your username and password by email.
Please ensure you have a reliable internet connection when undertaking in the course work.
Heidi Miranda-Walsh, OTR/L, CHT, CLT-LANA, is a graduate of Towson University in Maryland with more than 20 years experience as an occupational therapist. She acquired her hand-therapy specialty certification in 1991 and was trained as a lymphedema therapist at the former Lerner Lymphedema Services Academy of Lymphatic Studies in 1997.
Heidi balances her therapy practice between two specialties developing hand therapy and lymphedema therapy programs. She has developed a special expertise in treating head and neck oncology patients and has lectured extensively on the subject of Lymphedema of the Head & Neck at conferences for patients, therapists and doctors across the U.S.
Heidi serves as an instructor with Klose Training & Consulting sharing her special interest, skills and experience in working with patients with lymphedema of the head and neck.
This course is an advanced level class. Students should have successfully completed a level 1 or equivalent lymphoedema course that is recognised by the Australasian Lymphology Association.
Students can be physiotherapists, occupational therapists, medical practitioners, registered nurses ( Division 1), or massage therapists with a Diploma of Remedial Massage (this is a minimum requirement) from a Registered Training Organisation listed with the National Training Information Service and may include qualifications that specify a primary modality such as ‘Diploma of Remedial Massage (Myotherapy).
Note: It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the skills acquired in this class are within their scope of practice.
The tuition for this online course is $415.00AUD (inc GST). The full amount is due upon registration.
You are required to approve the Klose Training and Consulting and Lymphoedema Education Solutions Participant Agreement on registration for this course.
To receive a Certificate of Completion, students must successfully complete an online quiz.
Upon completion of the course and successfully passing the quiz, the student will receive a Certificate of Completion verifying online course hours. The Head and Neck Lymphedema Management online course offers 6.75 contact hours of online continuing education.
Once you complete the registration form below, you will be directed to the payment section for this course.