Obesity and Obesity-Related Lymphoedema & Lipedema
A must-see for every Certified Lymphoedema Therapist and referring physician. There are many misconceptions about obesity and its association with lymphoedema and lipedema. Many common myths negatively impact the treatment provided to patients suffering from these diseases. This lecture will change your attitude about obesity and alter your therapeutic approach and typical recommendations for patients suffering from obesity, lymphoedema, and/or lipedema.
Educational Level: Beginner/Intermediate
Instructional Method: Online/Distance Learning
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the causes of obesity.
- Identify the impact of obesity on the integrity and function of lymph collectors/lymphatic transport.
- Identify the impact of obesity on the muscle pump and inguinal lymph nodes.
- Distinguish between obesity-induced lymphedema and obesity-induced lipedema.
- Differentiate between lipedema and lipohypertrophy.
- Explain how the body processes sugar in a way that exacerbates fat accumulation.
- Identify three reasons why weight-loss diets have a high failure rate in the long term.
- Describe a therapeutic approach for patients with a BMI over 40.
- Describe a multi-disciplinary treatment approach for patients with Class 3 obesity-induced lymphoedema and lipedema.
Registration and access
- Click the REGISTER NOW button below
- Fill in the REGISTRATION form then click the PAYMENT button where you will be directed to the Shop page where you need to click ADD TO CART.
- Click PROCEED TO CHECKOUT.
- If you are a previous customer, simply enter your access details to login to your customer account. If you are a new customer, carefully enter your details.
- Please ensure that you enter a valid e-mail address as all order information will be sent to this address.
Place your order
- Click PROCEED TO PAYPAL to make your payment via credit card or with your Paypal account.
- Shortly after making a successful payment you will receive your order confirmation by email.
- Your credit card is charged and will show payment made to Victorian Lymphoedema Practice (trading as Lymphoedema Education Solutions)
Within three to five business days of receiving your registration and payment, you will be sent your username, password, and instructions on how to access and navigate the online course. You will have 3 MONTHS of access to the online course, starting from the time you receive your username and password by email.
Please ensure you have a reliable internet connection when undertaking in the course work.
Dr. Tobias Bertsh has been a senior consultant at the Foeldi Clinic in Hinterzarten, Germany since 2005, specializing in lymphology and bariatric medicine. He also serves as Secretary General of the German Society of Lymphology.
In 2008, Dr. Bertsch developed a unique, multi-disciplinary therapy program for patients with morbid obesity, obesity-associated lymphedema, and lipedema. This very successful program includes bariatric and plastic surgery – when indicated – in addition to conservative treatment with Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT).
Dr. Bertsch is one of only two physicians in Germany who consults in an outpatient setting approved by the health insurance commission with patients who have lymphedema and lipedema. Dr. Bertsch and his team consult with approximately 4000 patients per year.
In 2012, Dr. Bertsch earned Specialist Certification of Obesity Professional Education (SCOPE), the only internationally-recognized certification in obesity management for health care professionals. SCOPE was an outcome of the 2002 European Union Obesity Summit that highlighted the need to improve clinical management of obesity.
Dr. Bertsch is an Associate Professor at the University of Freiburg, Department of Health Education, where he frequently lectures on obesity and the impact of obesity on health policy in Germany. He also lectures extensively throughout Germany and has presented lectures in the Netherlands, Switzerland, Poland, Ireland, and the United States.
Prior to his work at the Foeldi Clinic, Dr. Bertsch served six years as an emergency medical physician. After attending medical school, he completed residencies in Germany and South Africa before receiving specialty accreditation in internal medicine in Germany.
Prior to attending medical school, Dr. Bertsch earned an undergraduate degree in social education in Emden, Germany.
No prior lymphedema certification required. This course is offered to all Medical Practitioners, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Nurses, Podiatrists, Accredited Exercise Physiologists, Massage Therapists, Physiotherapy Assistants, Occupational Therapist Assistants, Nursing students and students undertaking health professional qualifications.
NOTE: It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the skills acquired in this class are within their scope of practice.
The tuition for this online course is $175.00AUD (inc GST). The full amount is due upon registration.
You are required to approve the Klose Training and Consultation and Lymphoedema Education Solutions Participant Agreement on registration for this course.
Certificate of completion
The Obesity and Obesity-Related Lymphedema & Lipedema course offers 2.5 contact hours of online continuing education.
To receive a Certificate of Completion, the student must be a licensed health care professional and watch all video portions of the course, pass an online quiz with a score of 80% or better, and return the required documents specified in the course. The Certificate will then be emailed to the student.